Friday, November 9, 2012

The one about Alexandra Bracken

So I tend to be pretty hesitant about gushing over books before I've actually read them, because who knows if it will live up to expectations? But guys, this time around, I just can't help myself. One of my favorite authors is coming out with a new book in JUST. ONE. MONTH.

I'm talking of course about Alexandra Bracken, and her second novel, THE DARKEST MINDS.

Just look. Look look look.




When Ruby wakes up on her tenth birthday, something about her has changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones. After barely escaping Thurmond with her life, Ruby joins a band of fellow escapees on their way to  East River, the only haven left for kids like her. Or so they think. But other forces are at work
. Between East River's mysterious leader, the fellow escapee who's falling hard for Ruby, and the others who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government, Ruby is faced with a terrible choice--one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.

Does that not give you chills?*

Thing is, I'm not the only one getting all gooey and gushy. It seems like everyone is talking about these books. I remember when Brightly Woven came out, rather on the fringe of things, and how it gained a minor cult following as the few people who read it absolutely loved it. Because Bracken was one of the authors I actually interviewed that year (!!!), I made sure to get myself a copy and check it out for myself. And there was something special about that book. I remember thinking that it deserved a lot more attention than it was getting, and also putting Bracken on my mental "authors to watch" list.

So I got pretty excited when I found out she was working on a new novel (some of you will remember it had the working title of Black is the Color, which later got changed to the current title of THE DARKEST MINDS.)  And basically, I've been a basket case of excitement ever since then. Ever since early readers snagged themselves early copies at BEA--alas, I was not one of these lucky few--I feel like the excitement level has just been simmering barely repressed beneath the surface. And guys? Now? Now that the book is almost out?

WE CAN FINALLY RELEASE THAT EXCITEMENT.

Here are a few outlets for that.

www.THEDARKESTMINDS.com

First and foremost, Alexandra Bracken herself just launched an entire website for the series that has some ridiculously cool features, like playlists and FAQ as well as a World page with pictures, quotes, and media related to the book, styled rather like a Pinterest page. Which, by the way, we all get to contribute to as we find media that might relate to the story. (For details on how to contribute to the World page, check out this blog post here.) (Also? Contributing is fun. Take it from me *wink*)



www.THESKIPKIDS.com

The Skip Kids is the first (and I'm going to hazard a guess, the awesomest ever) fansite for THE DARKEST MINDS. The designers are none other than the amazing book reviewers Katie of Sophistikatied and Erica of TheBookCellar. I'm a big fan of Katie's design work, and the Skip Kids fansite is pretty much iconic for her, by which I mean, it rocks and it's gorgeous. Definitely check this site out. And make sure to enter their grand opening giveaway which has about a zillion cool prizes and plenty of ways to enter. The giveaway ends November 20th, so you still have a little while.

Alex elsewhere:

Website | Twitter | Blog | Tumblr | Goodreads

THE DARKEST MINDS elsewhere:

Barnes & Noble | Amazon | Goodreads 


Okay guys, I think that's truly it. If anyone knows of another resource they think is worth sharing, please feel free to link to it in the comments. Yay for Bracken. Yay for Darkest Minds! Who else is excited?

Truly and always,
-Creative A


*The story, not my tweaked version of the blurb.**
**I kind of smushed two paragraphs together in the attempt of simplification. This may or may not have been effective. Oh wells.

No comments:

Google Analytics